Sunday, December 21, 2008

If you like ministry doom and gloom.....

then you will love this story about church attendance in England. According to a report by Christian Research, church attendance will decline by 90% by 2050.

Do you think that is possible? Is this a clarion call for the church to change or evidence the church has changed too much? How does your eschatology fit into this report and how does this report fit into your eschatology?

Personally I find myself living between Romans 1:16 and Matthew 7:13. The unstoppable gospel that is the timeless power of God unto salvation and the truth that more people will walk away from that precious gospel than we care to think about.

The exact narrowness and wideness of those ways will vary from time to time. I don't know what the year 2050 will hold (I have a hard time getting past next Sunday), but I do know the gospel will not expire and the path will never be empty.

And that is really all I need to know about the future.

1 comment:

Pastor Tim said...

As an aside, I would note that I personally do not buy the doom and gloom of the figures reported in the article.