Saturday, March 14, 2009

Funeral Directors and Funeral Ministry

I received a call earlier this week that the family was being called to the nursing home as it did not appear Mr. Young was going make it much longer. By the time I arrived he had indeed passed away.

Mr. Young was the lead funeral director at one of our town's funeral homes. Over 15 plus years as pastor I have worked with many funeral directors. My relationship with these men and women has always been good. They have always been extremely courteous and helpful over the years, both to the grieving families and to the officiating minister. (Except the one that drove me to the cemetary and then left without me. It wasn't a long walk...but still. I mean, my stuff was still in his car.)

I am particularly grateful for the first couple of funeral directors I worked with in Fort Lauderdale when I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

I remember the first time I worked with Mr. Young, being deeply impressed with the dignity and warmth he brought to his work. I found out later that his wife was an inactive member of our church.

What surprised me was when I arrived at the nursing home was that even when the family patriarch is a funeral director, families can be completely unprepared for death. I was surprised how much my presence meant to the family. Even though his wife has not been in our church in a long time, I was introduced around the room as "my pastor." My ministry that day was enhanced by a couple of prior visits to the hospital and nursing home to see Mr. Young.

Driving back to town I wondered about the hour and a half this visit had consumed of my day. There are those who try to tell us that effective pastors have more important things to do than these kind of visits.

To be honest I really haven't found many more important ministries than caring for people and seeking to bring God's presence into their lives. How about you?

No comments: