Monday, November 10, 2008

Louisiana Baptist Convention Report #1

Since it was this year's SBC annual meeting that really first introduced me to the world of Southern Baptist bloggers it seems only appropriate that I take a few moments to reflect on the opening session of my home state's annual meeting.

Some simple observations from tonights proceedings held at the First Baptist Church of New Orleans.

1. FBC New Orleans is a beautiful facility. I attended FBCNO a couple of times back in my seminary days at its old facility in the Garden District, but I am impressed by what I have seen of their "new" campus.

2. LBC Exec. Director, David Hankins introduced a new evangelism emphasis to the convention this year. This is certainly not news as nearly every convention I have ever attended introduced a new evangelism strategy (yet lostness grows and grows....but that is a topic for another post). What is different is the theme of this emphasis is "sharing the blessing of peace." Evangelism as a gift of peace. There is something right about this.

3. The Louisiana College choir and ensemble did a fantastic job. Easily the highlight of the evening. I had heard the ensemble at the SBC in Indy and felt they were far superior to most of the other music (which included the Gaithers, though the Gettys were tough to beat.) I would like to schedule The Voices of Louisiana College for our church in the upcoming months.

4. Much was made about meeting in New Orleans this week. Needs were restated, visions were recast, commitments were renewed. For a person who has lived in this city and loved this city it was quite meaningful. But I also know, the people of my church feel very distant from New Orleans and would like to be even more distant if it were possible.

Why do Southern Baptists struggle with big cities this way? In the last state convention I was part of, the convention ceased to schedule annual meetings in Miami. It was not that the convention leadership did not care about the city, it was just that the rest of the state's response to it largest, most urban city was such that there was fear they would not even have a quorum for business.

At least we still meeting in New Orleans. And for this year at least, people have come.

[Note the SBC has worked hard to avoid returning their annual meeting to this significant city. It was suggested that efforts are being made for the 2012 meeting. I pray that comes to fruition. If the city can host the Superbowl and BCS championships, the people of God ought to be able to show as well!]

No comments: