Friday, September 12, 2008

A Favorite Resource

For several years one of my favorite resources was the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Set. (http://www.amazon.com/Zondervan-Illustrated-Bible-Backgrounds-Commentary/dp/0310217407) While I rarely used it as a primary reference work, I often used as a supplement to "meatier" commentaries.

But alas, the set did not belong to me. It belonged to the church library at my former church. However, in recent months the church I currently serve has begun a new church library. And it should come as a surprise to no one that one the first items I recommended was this four volume NT commentary set.

I had the pleasure of renewing acquaintances this week as I prepared a message from Ephesians 6 concerning God's Expectation that we be battle ready believers. In the ZIBBCS (the initials just shortened that right up didn't they) I learned about the Ephesia Grammata, six words commonly used by Ephesians as a verbal talisman when they sought extra strength and power. This could possibly color Paul emphasis on "being strong in the Lord" not in some pagan power.

What are some of your favorite resources that you consistently find meaningful?

No comments: