Monday, September 22, 2008

Invited to Speak

I do not often get invited to speak outside of my own church, but right now I have two invitations before. Neither of them are likely to impress you, but they are invitations still the same.

I count it a large privilege to share God's Word in any setting possible, but I am much more comfortable doing so within the context of an existing relationship. Speaking or preaching to strangers has always been a bit uncomfortable for me (and the same can likely be said for my listeners as well).

I don't know them. They don't know me. And I won't be with them next week to stand with them as they seek to apply His Word to their lives. I feel deeply called to be a pastor. Not so much to be an evangelist.

This morning I will be bringing a devotion to the Baptist Campus Ministries group at our local community college. (The reason I was invited to speak was because our ladies are providing lunch!) These students (and staff) hear from a different preacher every week. I think that most weeks the typical message leans toward an evangelistic presentation. If this is the case, I worry that these students may be developing an immunity to the gospel they have not yet fully heard or understood.

My goal this morning is simply to help them know Jesus a bit better. I will be sharing from Mark 2 and plan to encourage the students to consider that their spiritual needs are actually greater than any other part of their life. I would like them to be caught by the wonder of God's Word to their lives. That will, in time lead to their becoming fully devoted followers of Christ.

But like I said, I don't get out much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for any opportunities we get to proclaim His wonderful Word. That being said, you didn't tell us about your other invitation to preach (at the White House or what?).
Joel

Pastor Tim said...

Dr. Mohler has asked that I not release those details yet. (It has something to do with a new chair of Biblicism.)

Actually, I will be preaching at the annual meeting of our local association next week.

Anonymous said...

Did you preach from Ezekiel?

Derrcik

Pastor Tim said...

Ezekiel is standing by right now, in case he is needed.