Thursday, September 18, 2008

Teaching The Books of Numbers -- Update

Several weeks ago I shared that I was starting a new midweek teaching series on the book of Numbers. We are still in the earlier chapters and have not yet encountered much narrative (ok, none at all so far). But the book has provided a wonderful emphasis on the centrality of God amongst His people.

The sections concerning regulations do not quite preach with the ease of say Philippians or James. For instance chapter 5 spends quite sometime describing what amounts to an "adultery smoothie". If a woman is suspected of unfaithfulness she is to take a drink that has been prescribed by the priest. If she is innocent, nothing will happen. However, if she is guilty.....let's just say it is not good.

What does this mean? For one thing the husband is to bring his concerns and suspicions to God and not deal with them himself. But what I found interesting was that while we think of sexual immorality as a thoroughly modern problem brought on by "Sex in the City" mindset of our day, it turns out that promiscuity is "old school", requiring entire chapters of the Bible even for the veil and head covering set.

There is nothing new under the sun. All the more reason for us to build our lives with God at the center.

2 comments:

Dani said...

You are so right, but I do however wonder if veils and head coverings might help...LOL Especially having sons.. I would not mind covering up some of the girls today (I would vote for Muslim dress at this point. Ha.)

I guess I never really paid attention to every detail in Numbers. It is interesting and eerily similar to the Salem Witch hunts. You know, people sinking or floating in the water. Anyway, thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it. I try to keep abreast of the Big "E" happenings however I can.

Pastor Tim said...

Thanks for the comment. It is good to know that someone is reading.