Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Books I'm Reading -- The Living Church

I am currently reading The Living Church by John Stott. I appreciate the subtitle -- Convictions of a Lifelong Pastor. (I am far more interested in what he is certain of than the things he may still be wondering about. I am grateful to read about his convictions.)

A couple of things struck me today from his chapter on evangelism. Stott borrows a concept from Alec Vidler called "holy worldliness". By creating this unlikely pairing of words the church is challenged to remain true to set aside to God and at the same time to be sent out amongst a world that rejects that very God. The church must be both things.

This is particularly probing for me in this week, as I have just passed a second Mardi Gras in the community that I minister in. Our small town has achieved some notoriety for its distinct brand of revelry. The question before us is how do we express "holy worldliness" in this setting?

Maybe some of that answer comes from another quote in the chapter. This one comes from John Poulton. "Christians....need to look like what they are talking about." The one key to "holy worldliness" is the authentic and consistent faith of those who believe.

May our ministries grow and model these kind of Christians.

No comments: