Monday, August 18, 2008

A Capital Crime and A Priceless Privilege-- My Day in the Pulpit

I began a new sermon series at our church yesterday morning. The series is entitled "God's Expectations" and is built on Ephesians 2.8-10.

It was a challenge and a joy to preach on the great verses of grace that are Ephesians 2.8-9 to our congregation that contains so many whose understanding of faith has been strongly influenced by the Catholic church and culture. Even our best efforts to earn our own salvation only compounds the sin of self sufficiency first experienced in the Garden. (At its root sin rejects God and instead says "I will do it my way".)

But it may have been an even greater challenge to continue the message into verse 10 for those who have been so heavily influenced by Baptist/Protestant teaching and culture. I believe it is an exegetical capital crime to leave the message of grace unfinished. [My own guilt here makes me appreciate grace all the more.] We are not saved by works (it is the gift of God) but we are saved for good works. According to v. 10 good works are our purpose and our destiny. They are to form the very boundaries of our lives.

Despite its priority in my ministry, it feels these days as though I have been underestimating the power of pastoral preaching. There is no greater opportunity for influence than to stand before my people and deliver a passionate word from the depth of my heart every week. Despite our complaints about the squeeze of culture, the pastor before his people remains an unrivaled opportunity.

Which means we must get it right. Our preaching will only be at its most useful for the kingdom of God as it mirrors the message of God.

3 comments:

Tom Bryant said...

Good post.

I can't remember who it was but I remember reading a statement that people come hungry for a Word from God on Sunday mornings and too many preachers only bring an empty bucket.

Anonymous said...

Tim,
Thanks for a good post for expository preaching (feeding the people God's Word). If only more pastors were convinced of it, our congregations would be far better off.
Joel

Pastor Tim said...

Thanks for your feedback guys. It is good to share the holy task with you.

Tim