Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jeremiah 20 -- The Dizzying Aspect of Ministry

If you get a chance, read Jeremiah 20.

If you already know what happens, try to forget.

As the chapter begins Jeremiah has just finished preaching in the temple courtyard his strongest words of judgment yet. Pashhur, the son of the chief officer of the temple hears the sermon and is not amused, to say the least. He has Jeremiah beaten and placed in stocks.

How does Jeremiah react in the face of such high-powered, violent opposition? The next morning, upon his release he makes a beeline for Pashhur and tells him that God has given Pashhur a new name, Big, Big Trouble (Tim's unpublished translation) and picks up his sermon right where he left off.

Jeremiah has not been intimidated, distracted or silenced. He is God's voice for that day. He is unmoved.

Then the wheels come off. In some of the sharpest words found in Scripture, Jeremiah accuses God of great unfairness. God has forced him into this situation and to make matters worse won't allow him to walk away. He is disgusted and worse.

However, reflection leads him back once again to his call. In the midst of these dangerous days, "the LORD is his dread warrior". Just as God had promised. In a seeming blink of an eye, he moves from anger to worship. Secure in the character of God.

But the chapter is not finished. Just as quickly, Jeremiah is once again gripped with despair. He curses the day he was born. He curses the one who announced his birth. He wishes his mother's womb had become his tomb. This is not your garden variety despair!

Then the chapter ends.

What does this mean? I have not been beaten or jailed for my preaching and I have yet to curse the day I was born. But I have had those days that I have been in love with my church, reflecting on the wonderful things that were unfolding all around me. Then a simple phone call or single off the cuff remark can make me wonder if there is any hope in my current place of ministry. From doxology to despair. I have seen it all happen in a fifteen minute stretch...more than once.

In these moments we must lean into the promises of God and the message of the Gospel. We should notice that despite the struggles of this chapter, Jeremiah has another thirty two chapters of ministry to go.

And we should stop measuring ministry in fifteen minute stretches!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,
I just returned from a week away (as you know) and took time to read your latest "thoughts." So rich. So well written. So rightly provoking. Regarding Jeremiah 20 - I once heard a man preach this passage and summarize it as being between "I can't go on" and "I can't quit"! I know that territory. Thanks. Keep it up.

Camera Clicker said...

Really good stuff.