Sunday, August 31, 2008

Waiting for Gustav in SW Louisiana -- Sunday afternoon

A couple of notes from Gustav land....

At this point, the weather is slightly breezy but certainly not forboding. That is do to change as the day unfolds tomorrow.

I had a difficult time getting home today as I needed to cross the two lane north/side highway that runs through our town. The traffic was epic, it occassionally included convoys of ambulances which I assume were transporting folks from hospitals and nursing homes.

It was reported that the local grocery story announced it was giving away all refigerated items this morning. All you can eat....till your power goes out as well!

Church this morning was interesting. Our attendance was likely about 40-50% of our normal crowd. This wasn't a surprise based on what I had been reading from people's facebook status bars. Many folks are quite concerned about the storm.

What was a surprise was that the folks that came were really quite at peace and far less distracted than I expected. In fact, I went ahead and preached more of a message than I had planned when I came to church.

Our family has spent the afternoon getting ourselves ready to head to church in the morning to join the folks riding out the storm there. The eye of the storm is still projected to go right over our community, but will have lost some intensity by the time it arrives.

Till then we hope to keep power, internet and cell phones up and running as long as possible. A/C wouldn't hurt either.

No comments: