Friday, August 8, 2008

Jeremiah 19 -- An Uncomfortable Word

Jeremiah 19 is full of sharp images. God instructs Jeremiah to take a potter’s earthenware flask along with the elders of the people and the elders of the priests to the Potsherd Gate. There he is to describe God’s charges against the people and the consequences to come.

As it has been throughout the book, the language is vivid. “I will make this city a horror, a thing to be hissed at.” He speaks these words to a crowd that already has great antipathy toward Jeremiah. He speaks the words holding the earthenware flask, most likely standing over a huge pile of earthenware rubble and rubbish.

Everybody knew what was coming. But I think it was still pretty powerful when Jeremiah shattered the flask and said “thus says the LORD of hosts: So I will break this people and this city….”

In Jeremiah one of the big questions I struggle with is who is God speaking to today in this passage? The godless culture that surrounds us? Those in our congregation who have wandered away from their faith? Or those who show up to my church every Sunday?

As much as I wish it applied to them, I am afraid it applies to us.

Which leads me to another question. When it comes to the sins of the people, I understand being less than faithful. We are always susceptible to that. But “filling this place with the blood of innocents” and building high places to Baal?

How was that not obvious to God’s people? How could they not be instantly convicted from the first word of the prophet?

It makes me wonder what sin is in my life to which I too am so blind!

No comments: