Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ear Tickling at Its Best...and Worst

On the road the other day, I came across a radio preacher expounding how much God wants to bless you. I mean, God really really wants to bless you. After all, he explained
"your God is not El-Get By, He is El-Shaddai!"

It would be such great preaching....except the part about it being completely opposite the teaching of Scripture.

10I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your
concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity.
11Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever
situation I am to be content. 12I know how to be brought low, and I know how to
abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing
plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13I can do all things through him who
strengthens me. Philippians 4.10-13 (ESV)

It seems Paul saw the El-Shaddai in the "barely getting by". Doesn't have the same rhetorical ring, but does have the small benefit of being Inspired Truth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! God never promised us a "Best Life Now." He is worthy of Praise in any and ALL circumstances of life. In reference to the verse you are referring to, I thought I would share the same verse from another version. I do not normally use the Message but sometimes check it for clarity on tricky things. Here it is:
2 Timothy 4
3-5You're going to find that there will be times when people will have no stomach for solid teaching, but will fill up on spiritual junk food—catchy opinions that tickle their fancy. They'll turn their backs on truth and chase mirages. But you—keep your eye on what you're doing; accept the hard times along with the good; keep the Message alive; do a thorough job as God's servant.

I thought the "catchy opinions" part was relevant to your post. I also wanted to add that these "prosperity gospel" preachers, are also leaving out something in the first 2 verses.. REBUKE. It is not always Roses and Blessings.. Sometimes we need to be held accountable for our unrepentant lives!