Thursday, January 8, 2009

Musing About Moses' Ministry

Wednesday evenings we have been slowly working our way through the Book of Numbers. I am beginning to feel that we have spent more time in Numbers than the Israelites did! (To make matters worse several church members have been grumbling saying it would have been better to have died in Egypt than continue this study.) I jest....mostly.

Last night we looked at Numbers 20, the episode where Moses strikes the rock instead of speaking to the rock, whereby losing the privilege of leading the people into the Promised Land. The discussion was quite lively as several folks speculated exactly what had been Moses great sin and why it mattered so much. It seems to be one of those passages we are just drawn to trying to fill in the blanks.

From a ministry point of view, what caught me was despite Moses' disobedience/lack of faith/anger/over identification with God the rock brought forth water. The people and their livestock were provided for. A miracle occurred. To the naked eye, you would not even notice a problem. But God did.

I wonder how often God works in spite of me. How often do I strut around as if I accomplished something noteworthy when God was really just working around me! How often I have pointed to results to validate my ministry when in reality it was just me making noise?

May my obedience increase. May my pride be adjusted. May I remain useful to the Master.

No comments: